03 December 2007

On the Subject of Love


It's interesting the things you discover after 6 cups of coffee and 45 sleepless hours. Why, just today I found out that true love exists. I wish I was speaking of myself, however maybe it is better that it isn't me. My friend told me a story about true love today that would make even the most misanthropic, miserable miser believe in a happily ever after.

After an endless night full of chicken bits, I began the day late and homeworkless for Jazz Theory, and followed it with a two hour nap in which I skipped a meeting with Professor John Delorey and a homework session for Jazz Theory with my friend Krista. I stumbled to my class in which my sleep-stealing, 15 page paper was due, and found some of my dearest friends glad to see me.

After two hours of preparing for a project presentation, we returned to DAKA (the school cafe) and had a shared meal. After which, my friend returned to my dorm with me and gave me a wonderful, ahem, I mean "terrible" massage. During which I asked him to tell me a happy story.

He then proceeded to tell me about his true love and I have never believed in the idea more than then. Even after watching the Princess Bride, true love never seemed more real than when he explained how he felt around his love and how much he missed and longed for her. All I could think of were the endless Irish love songs and ballads.

I truly believe that true love exists. I'm still unsure of what it really is, and I do not think I will ever fully know. It is someone with whom you share a bond stronger than any known to man. It is a comradary meant to overcome all evils and troubles; my thousand loves -- Mo mhile gra.

I hope that someday I get to experience this love. However I think I have been looking for it in the wrong way. Mabye Kahil Gibran had it right, "And think not, you can direct the course of love; for love, if it finds you worthy, directs your course." Whether or not God exists, or if there is a plan which we are all destined to follow, true love is there if only we are brave enough to accept it into our hearts.

No comments: